January 26, 2012

Beware of Celery

My wife and I got our juicer in the mail the other day, and we have been absolutely loving it! We've been experimenting with things you typically see people juice such as apples, oranges, and carrots. And those three make a lovely cocktail.

We discovered yesterday that we also like cucumber, surprisingly enough. The only deal with adding a green thing to a juice that is bright orange is it turns a foul brown color. But if you can manage to see past this color inconvenience, or simply drink with your eyes closed, the taste of cucumber added to fruit juice was refreshing.

So today we had a birth class with the lady who will be our doula, and because she's really big on natural foods, I decided I'd make a blend of something delicious and make it super healthy, too. So I pulled various other veggies out of the fridge and threw them down the chute of the juicer. I was happy to find celery, and I thought, "I like celery," so I tossed like HALF A BUNCH into the Breville. And it yielded lots of lovely, pale green juice. Then I threw in a whole lemon, mostly because our birth instructor told us that if you have lemon early in the day, you'll have nice BM's. I added kale, which tastes like lawn trimmings, but knew the other strong flavors of orange and carrot and sweetness of apple would mask the lawn trimmings and make it more palatable.

The color of everything was the foulest brown I've seen and reminded me of beef stock. So I poured a glass to test it out before proudly presenting it to our birth instructor, and guess what it tasted like! Celery, kale, and butt! I figured that instead of enjoying the mix as a whole, I would challenge myself with picking out the various ingredients and seeing if I could identify them. Mostly, I could pick out the celery, kale, and butt.

We're not taking it to the birth instructor.

2 comments:

Haley said...

Sounds like a great way to lose some lbs. I would much rather starve than drink butt!

Ninja-Nellie said...

dumb blog that won't let me "like" haley's comment!