January 29, 2012

The Microwave: My Juicing Salvation

So juicing has been a struggle for me the past couple days. It's not that it's been disgusting (except for a couple concoctions) or that it's made me ill. The struggle up to just a couple minutes ago has been veggies.

You remember when I added veggies to my juice? Mainly celery? Sometimes the delicious fruit just doesn't mask the vegetables, and the combination can be foul.

Also, considering it has been January, it's been cold outside and in our condo. When you're all bundled up in a blanket and hungry or thirsty, the last thing you need is a cool glass of fruit juice. You want something warm and delicious.

So I did something new today. I dissected one of our tomato bisque recipes and decided to adapt it to juicing. We went to Smith's and bought tomatoes, onions, and green peppers. I came home and juiced them, using only a little onion and green pepper in a lot of tomato juice. Then I added salt and pepper and dried garlic and threw it all in the microwave. When it was heated, I threw in a little honey to cut out the acidity of the tomato, and IT WAS DELICIOUS! I was wonderful warm vegetable broth with a little kick from the green pepper and onion. It was he savory, hot thing that I really needed.

Some say that heating these juices can kill some of the wonderful nutrients in them. To these people, I say they can take their heat sensitive nutrients and SHOVE 'EM!

1 comment:

Haley said...

DELICIOUS!! I may have to try the juice plan to slide in to home base with this competition! I am grateful that you will have everything down to a science and will then be able to pass it on to me! It will save me from drinking butt and any other foul flavors!