February 7, 2012

Plus One Little Screamer

Hey all!

Last week was quite the thing for all of us. Firstly, everyone knows that with my work, I have the 7 days on, 7 days off schedule, meaning that if it's my on-week, and you want me to do you a favor, odds are I simply won't have the time.

Last Tuesday, the first day of my on-week, Steph got into a fender bender just outside my complex. No one was injured, but Steph was definitely shaken up, to the point that one hour later she went right into transition labor. Yeah, we called our birth class instructor Amy Jones, who also would be at the birth, and explained the situation and she said, "I really don't think this is labor. Tell her to soak in a nice hot bath and drink some tea and listen to some music, and the odds are that this will pass because it's just a response to her car crash."

Stephanie did all those things, and the contractions only got harder, longer, and came more frequently. We call the midwives, and they said to come into the Birth Center, that Steph is probably having a baby. I called Amy back, and she said, "Well, that's fine to go to the Center, but don't be surprised when they check her and she's only at a 3 and then send you home, 'cause I'm pretty sure this is just her body reacting to the wreck."

We got to the center, and Steph was at an 8. "Okay, I'll be right over!" Amy said as she ran out the door. Steph labored in the tub for less than two hours, and our perfect baby boy Dalton was born at 9:25 pm, making his labor just under four hours!

Then he wasn't breathing perfectly well, so he got rushed to the NICU to spend the next three days. So between labor and the NICU, and my work week, life was rough for me, and especially for Steph. On the diet end of things, I had to live off hospital cafeteria food and whatever people brought us, so the diet was not ideal.

Once we got Dalton home, and we took a few days to recuperate and let my work week end, I weighed myself to assess the damage, and things are JUST FINE! I am right where I was last time I reported, so the universe is being nice to me this go around.

Thank you, universe.

2 comments:

Haley said...

Glad you are back with zero gain! I would have been up the lbs I lost, plus a few!! Good for you!!!

Ninja-Nellie said...

So happy to have you back back! And glad to hear that Steph and Dalton are doing well.